Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Week 16

This is for the weekly writing inspiration on Lillie McFerrin's blog. I used Shiver as my inspiration, feel free to explain to me in great detail how I'm fucking up.

Cold Men



The men line the sidewalk in a misshapen row, their breaths visible as we first cross the bridge. Some of them lean on the buildings, others sit on the cold stone below; they are ragged men, clothes torn, faces dirty, beards long. Some of them hold signs, silent pleas of charity, appeals to god, humor, or decency. Their eyes stare out into the bleak snowy world, lips chapped, begging for help, for hope. The car is warm, and we drive by, glancing only for a moment at the cold men.



I sincerely hope you don't have an urge to kill me right now. Enjoy life. Goodnight


5 comments:

  1. I kind of love this. Sad and beautiful and real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are far from fucking up. You paint a very vivid scene filled with sadness, want, shame and guilt. All in just 5 sentences. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well crafted - you created a very strong visual there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You portrayed this sad scene so elequently. I'm with Lindsey, kind of love it! Thanks so much for joining in on FSF :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Andy: you are far from fucking up. Your portrayal of such a sad reality we have cast the world into is beautiful and stunning -- and even somewhat mind-numbing. It definitely gets you thinking. I especially enjoyed the appeal to god (including the intentional lowercase g), humour or decency; brilliant line, and I would never have been able to link those three words in a coherent sentence. All in all, excellent job.

    / Rain

    ReplyDelete